Reasons to come to LUG
1) We're open to all levels of experience. You don't have to know anything about Linux to come. We do a lot of things more related to open source technology than Linux.
2) Being familiar with Linux is a valuable asset when looking for a job/internship. You are more than likely going to run into a situation requiring basic Linux knowledge at some point in your career.
3) A lot of your future classes will be made easier by being comfortable with Linux and other open source software. CS311 and CS411 - Operating Systems - require you to use Linux throughout the course on our schools servers.
Information About Install Fest
The Install fest is aimed at a variety of skill levels. You only need your laptop and power supply, and we'll provide everything else. Expert Linux users will be there to walk everyone through the installation steps to ensure your data is ...more
Beaver Bar Camp 10 attracted a good crowd away from Blocktoberfest and the Beaver game. Barcamp is ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees. Mozilla signed on again to sponsor BBC. They gave workshops on web security, writing for the web, and open web apps. Rackspace was also present this time around.
Talks included beer brewing, Minecraft redstone, Tor, whistling, poker theory, pendulums, and 3d printing.
Want to be a part of BarCamp and make BarCamp more awesome? Look out to attend and start thinking about things you could possibly talk about. It could be anything, whatever you enjoy doing (Bikes? Starcraft? Cake baking?). BarCamp out.
DJ Petersen make a return visit to LUG to talk about his persistent IRC web client, Subway. DJ is a former OSU student who interned at Cloudkick last summer and is currently working as web developer in Eugene.
Subway was inspired when DJ saw MostAwesomeDude attempting to explain IRC and screen to a non-technical person over at the OSL. Though the idea that many of us run irssi/weechat on a server on a forked process so that we can come back and view messages and conversations while we were gone didn't quite sift through. IRC is like email or a social network to most of us, and it would be nice to bring people into that network who aren't as technical.
A currently existing persistent IRC web client is grove.io ...more
Oh, the love is in the air. For Valentine's Day, LUG got together and shared pieces of software or technology that they loved.
rTorrent - Jacques Uber
Tell subsonic to look at directory where music is downloaded. rTorrent watches a directory for new torrents. When it sees one it downloads it. Subsonic then sees the new media file, indexes it, and serves it. You can simply scp a torrent file over and it will automatically torrent and serve it. Ready to listen!
Flask - Corbin Simpson
Flask is a Python web framework that lets you create website insanely fast yet scales well.
import flask app = flask.Flask(__name__) counter ...more
What is SOPA?
The Wild West of the clouds, the group of rampant pirates known as the Internet, has thrown their gloves to the ground against bills proposed in the House and the Senate in an effort to preserve its very own existence. The land where people are free to share pictures of their cats and seed virtual farms is being overrun by dinosaurs. The dinosaur leading the charge is a stegosaur representing Texas that some know as Lamar Smith.
In late October, Smith proposed a bill named the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) that would:
- allow government and the entertainment industry to seek court orders against websites merely accused of "enabling" or "facilitating" copyright infringement"
- bar advertising networks and payment facilitators (Paypal) from doing business with alledgely infringing sites
- criminalize unauthorized streaming of copyrighted ...more