Welcome to the OSU LUG website!
If you're currently an OSU student and would like to become an official voting member of LUG, please fill out this member form.
LUG meets every week on Tuesday at 6:00pm at Kelly Engineering Center in KEC 1005. Keep an eye out for helpful information and upcoming events posted here. We also have lunch together on Fridays, at a time determined by the doodle poll and confirmed in the IRC channel.
Check back soon for future events!
1) Get familiar with Python. Many (but certainly not all) web apps and web frameworks are written in python, which makes it very handy to know your way around the language. And if you don't already know python very well, or have a lot of programming experience, writing web apps are a great way to develop your skills and learn some awesome stuff! There are lots of great resources to help you get familiar with python, ... more
So, you want to start a LUG? DO IT! Here are some hints that I've picked up in 2 years as President and 1 year as Vice President of the OSU LUG.
Your first task is to evaluate what already exists in your community, to determine whether a LUG is needed.
Current and former local LUGs and friends
Has your campus ever had a LUG? If so, find its web site and mailing list. Use the names, IRC handles, and ... more
Technical Resume Advice
The advice you'll get at a place like OSU Career Services is appropriate for generic resumes, but not all of it applies when tailoring your resume for a technical role. Technical resumes will typically be read by automated systems, HR people, and the professional engineers who conduct your interview.
Know Your Audience
Once you get your resume into ... more
The Event Publicity Cheat Sheet
LUG runs or contributes to a variety of events, from Installfests to BarCamps to regular outreach activities. This guide will be a work in progress -- please update it with what you learn as you try to implement its suggestions.
A month before the event:
Talk to whoever runs the mailing lists for the departments you're recruiting from, to make them aware of your event and ... more
0) 1-2 weeks Before Term Starts
Pick a time and date for the InstallFest. The usual LUG time (Tuesday at 6pm) generally works, and we usually have a room for it as well. Contact Tina Batten from EECS to reserve KEC1005 or KEC1007. Week 2 or 3 is generally a good time to have InstallFest, since students in the introductory CS classes have realized they need Linux but haven't gotten it yet.
- Take inventory ... more
This guide will provide a brief introduction to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy (LFSH; ie, the filesystem layout) for those familiar with Windows. The first section will clarify any terminology used, the second section will address frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the LFSH, and the third section will provide a brief rundown of the LFSH. The goal is to help new Linux users figure out where things are located.
note: Linux ... more
0) Identify a topic about which we need a guide. If you have an idea, great! If you're looking for something to write about, check out the open issues about Guides. Ask around in the IRC channel and at meetings about what people would like to see guides on, as well.
Remember that you don't have to start out as an expert ... more
Reasons to come to LUG
1) We're open to all levels of experience. You don't have to know anything about Linux to come. We do a lot of things more related to open source technology than Linux.
2) Being familiar with Linux is a valuable asset when looking for a job/internship. You are more than likely going to run into a situation requiring basic Linux knowledge at some point in your career.
3) A lot of your future ... more
Beaver Bar Camp 10 attracted a good crowd away from Blocktoberfest and the Beaver game. Barcamp is ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from attendees. Mozilla signed on again to sponsor BBC. They gave workshops on web security, writing for the web, and ... more